Thursday, March 16, 2006

Jakehead

I have seen only four of Jake Gyllenhaal's movies, so I suppose I have to fess up that the main reason I like him is the cuteness, puppy-dog-eye factor (and he's a fellow Sagittarius). But I have to say, his real Oscar snub wasn't "Brokeback Mountain," it was "Jarhead." We only just saw this movie in the past couple of weeks, and I can't figure out why it was shut out for statues (Michael thinks it was too political).

Worthy of Oscar nominations in numerous categories: best picture, director (Sam Mendes), editing, cinematography, supporting actor (Peter Sarsgaard; maybe even Jamie Foxx) and absolutely actor. This was Jake's Oscar role, far superior to his "Brokeback" performance.

This one's up there with my top movies of last year, along with "Crash," "Mad Hot Ballroom," "Breakfast on Pluto," "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill," "Broken Flowers" and "Batman Begins."

2 comments:

Ann said...

Man, he is a hottie. We haven't seen either movie yet. But they are in our Netflix queue.
I actually really want to see "Jarhead."

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to make a war movie without going through the obligatory basic training set up? Why wasn't Jarhead nominated? Because the main character wasn't likeable or heroic. No one was likeable. The audience really didn't care what happened to anyone. By the way, I'm having coffee next week with your photographer friend Toby. I directed him to your blog.