Now here is something I don't even know how to wrap my brain around: There will be a remake next year of my beloved "Hairspray." First off, isn't it a little soon? Second, since when do John Waters movies get remakes? Now for the most horrible factoid of all: John Travolta will play Divine's role of Edna Turnblad. Tony Manero in a housedress? What is the world coming to? Nothing against the former Sweathog -- who will forever have a place in my heart thanks to "Urban Cowboy," "Pulp Fiction" and "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" (though he did star in "Battlefield Earth," which I am told was one of the worst movies ever made, and his Web site looks super-cheesy) -- but this is just wrong on so many levels! Are they actually going to try to re-create John Waters' style? No way can the movie not be camp, but there's no way anyone but the master can accomplish it. I am fine with the movie spawning a musical; it's apples and oranges. But leave the movie alone! Next thing you know, they will remake "Cry-Baby" with Nick Lachey in the Johnny Depp role. God, I shouldn't even joke about that!
Sunday, March 05, 2006
'Crash' and a burn
I was glad to see the Oscars do right by "Crash," giving it the best-picture statue. After Ang Lee won for director, I figured "Brokeback" was gonna win.
Now here is something I don't even know how to wrap my brain around: There will be a remake next year of my beloved "Hairspray." First off, isn't it a little soon? Second, since when do John Waters movies get remakes? Now for the most horrible factoid of all: John Travolta will play Divine's role of Edna Turnblad. Tony Manero in a housedress? What is the world coming to? Nothing against the former Sweathog -- who will forever have a place in my heart thanks to "Urban Cowboy," "Pulp Fiction" and "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" (though he did star in "Battlefield Earth," which I am told was one of the worst movies ever made, and his Web site looks super-cheesy) -- but this is just wrong on so many levels! Are they actually going to try to re-create John Waters' style? No way can the movie not be camp, but there's no way anyone but the master can accomplish it. I am fine with the movie spawning a musical; it's apples and oranges. But leave the movie alone! Next thing you know, they will remake "Cry-Baby" with Nick Lachey in the Johnny Depp role. God, I shouldn't even joke about that!
Now here is something I don't even know how to wrap my brain around: There will be a remake next year of my beloved "Hairspray." First off, isn't it a little soon? Second, since when do John Waters movies get remakes? Now for the most horrible factoid of all: John Travolta will play Divine's role of Edna Turnblad. Tony Manero in a housedress? What is the world coming to? Nothing against the former Sweathog -- who will forever have a place in my heart thanks to "Urban Cowboy," "Pulp Fiction" and "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" (though he did star in "Battlefield Earth," which I am told was one of the worst movies ever made, and his Web site looks super-cheesy) -- but this is just wrong on so many levels! Are they actually going to try to re-create John Waters' style? No way can the movie not be camp, but there's no way anyone but the master can accomplish it. I am fine with the movie spawning a musical; it's apples and oranges. But leave the movie alone! Next thing you know, they will remake "Cry-Baby" with Nick Lachey in the Johnny Depp role. God, I shouldn't even joke about that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think you just set an online record for John Travolta links.
And I hope that, even tho we disagree on "Crash," we can find common ground and recognize the goodness and light in each other's souls and bridge the gulf between our cultures.
You know its hard out here for a pimp. Best song
I know! But what was up with them changing "A whole lotta bitches jumping ship" to "witches" during the onstage performance? It's not like it's a word that isn't used on TV every day these days!
I would love to see Dolly get an Oscar one day too.
It all started with god
Post a Comment