Who knew that Shelley Winters was 85? I'm telling you, Abe Vigoda is going to outlive everyone (side note: I realized I did my math based on 2005, and he will be 85 on Feb. 24, not 84 as I'd said earlier).
Anyway, in memory of Winters, who recently died, I urge everyone to check out a couple of her classics: "A Place in the Sun" (1951), a tearjerker if there ever was one (though I can't think of anything sadder than either version of "The Champ," Ricky Schroder remake included). Monty Clift and Elizabeth Taylor are the beautiful people in this one. Shelley Winters is not, and you will hate her for it. Sad but true. Her character is so whiny that you really don't feel bad when ... OK, I won't give anything away.
Also check out "A Patch of Blue" (1965). This was one of my absolute favorites when I was little. Don't ask me why; I was a weird kid. All I can figure is ... I somehow identified with a blind girl who strung beads and fell for Sidney Poitier? Winters plays another unlikable character.
And, no, I've never seen "Lolita," so I can't recommend it one way or the other. But do NOT, I repeat NOT, ever watch "What's the Matter With Helen?" (1971) with Winters and Debbie Reynolds. It still gives me the creeps all these years later.
And now a fun fact: Shelley Winters' given name was a real humdinger: Shirley Schrift.
Broncos spot
It just occurred to me that Blogspot's color scheme is the same as the Denver Broncos' colors. If you lived in the midst of this frenzy, you'd notice it too.
Saturday, January 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Did you find it interesting Tony Franciosa (sp) passed away just after Shelley. He was husband 2 or 3?
When I was reading about her and saw his name, I thought it sounded familiar but couldn't place him (also didn't know he'd died days later). I looked him up on IMDb today and saw that he was in "The World is Full of Married Men" (1979), a late-night cable favorite of mine and my mom's in its day. He played a real loser. It also starred Carroll Baker and Paul Nicholas (nasty Cousin Kevin in the film version of the Who's "Tommy," Dougie in "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [I am the only person in the known universe who likes AND owns this movie] and a one-hit wonder in the '70s with "Heaven on the Seventh Floor," which I still own on 45. Speaking of married people, I just by chance found out last night that Sally Timms of Mekons fame was formerly married to Fred Armisen of SNL. He also was in a Chicago band called Trenchmouth, which has a song on the great Pravda Records' compilation "20 Explosive Dynamic Super Smash Hit Explosions!" featuring the fabulous Slugs.
Post a Comment