Wednesday, January 25, 2006

And Esther makes four!


Here is one of the exciting new photos I promised. OK, maybe not what you had in mind, but very exciting to us (and I was planning to post more, but the photo feature on this site seems to be acting up at the moment). Didn't want to spill the beans until we had actual proof, and besides, we didn't get her until today. We met her at the shelter Monday and picked her up today (she was being spayed in between). Apparently her owner had four dogs, was moving and couldn't take them all, so she and another Chihuahua ended up at the shelter. It's a sad story, but don't feel too bad for her. The shelter (Dumb Friends League) is a super-cushy facility with an amazing staff (see the link for an explanation of their name). And besides, she ends up with us, so double bonus!

Her given name was Champy, but she didn't respond to it, so we figured we could change it to pretty much whatever we wanted. Michael thought she looked like an Esther, and I agreed.

We introduced her and Angus at a nearby park to cut down on Angus' territorial response. He seemed really excited to meet her, but she was scared to death. She also doesn't do great on the leash. We think she may have been a lapdog in the truest sense and rarely gotten walks outside. Since we've been home, she has warmed up some, but Angus seems less interested, especially if he's on a lap and she tries to get near it. She is fairly skittish and doesn't trust us yet, or maybe the situation, though she definitely likes to get near our laps to sleep. As I type, Angus is sleeping on one chair, and Esther is curled up asleep in Angus' travel carrier. We thought she might like a spot that felt secure, and she walked right in and fell asleep on her own.

The shelter said she was about 2, but we are thinking she's more like 1, as she seems like she has some growing to do. She's about 9 pounds -- a tiny, dainty thing. We thought Angus was about a year older when we got him, then realized he wasn't finished growing.

That's all for now. Will post more photos once the system cooperates better. Looks like they are taking this site down for a little bit this afternoon, so it could be related to that.

P.S. Contrary to what many of you are probably thinking, that is a dog brush on the newspaper in the background! I noticed it after I posted the photo and didn't want to redo it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A chihuahua scared? But I was led to believe that they were maneaters! Downright maneaters!

But, anyway, congratulations. I can picture it now, Esther whiling away her time, atop Michael's lap, who slowly takes a drag of a cig while bundled up in a cardigan.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Capote. Oh, never mind...

Little Ginger said...

Hey, mister, you'd be scared too if your owner gave you away and you were separated from your home and other dogs, found yourself in a shelter, went under the knife and were taken away by strangers, all in a week's time!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should use eye liner on Esther. It probably isn't good for dogs.

Ann said...

Man, we can't even commit to one dog. But we live in a teeny apartment and just can't have one now. We were gonna get a greyhound if we stayed in phx.--when we had a house and yard. Eventually we will get a sweet gregyhound. They are couch potatoes--so one would fit perfectly in our home.
Anyway, congrats on your new doggie.

Anonymous said...

ginger...

My boss just got a dog last weekend, picked her up right after getting spayed. Then, as soon as she got the dog home, one of her cats punctured the eyeball of the dog. So, spayed and skewered in, like, 4 hours. There was a chance the dog would lose the eye, but it all turned out okay...

Little Ginger said...

Ack! That is horrible! Poor puppy!

DeAnn said...

OH MY WORD! SO CUTE!

I can't stop typing in all caps. That's how cute!

Four is a great number, I am telling you!!