Saturday, January 14, 2006

Primate exploitation?

On Thursday night, we saw "King Kong," and, as I expected, I cried my eyes out at the end. Yes, he's a computer-generated ape, but what an expressive one. Of course, it's the message that's the saddest, because you know it's exactly how our society operates.

On the flip side, however, a day later, I laughed until I cried after I went to the Whiplash Rides site. Our friends Barry and Hillary attended the National Western Stock Show and said Whiplash was a highlight of their visit. I asked Barry if Whiplash seemed exploited, and he said, "He seemed like a happy little monkey." Barry is a smart, thoughtful guy, so I trust his judgment. I also read the bios of Whiplash and the border collies and feel pretty confident they are living the good life. Yes, they are used for entertainment, but then, so is Mr. Winkle. You be the judge.

2 comments:

Ann said...

K, that is just funny. Was Mr. Winkle in a bunch of books? That little dog or whatever it is kinda creeps me out.
I don't think I want to see "King Kong." Movies are expensive here. The last one we went to was when we first moved here--almost a year ago. But we keep Netflix busy.

Little Ginger said...

Mr. Winkle is the star of calendars and was in an episode of "Sex and the City." Carrie was upstaged by a dog. I think he's hilarious! Do they have Costco in California? If so, and if you have a membership, you can get discount movie tickets for the major chains. We try to do that whenever we want to go to a regular-price movie at the big places. And before anyone (like my friend J.A.) says why pay a yearly fee just so you can shop at a particular store, you should know that NPR did a piece on Costco's great treatment of its workers. My friend BKP actually joined Costco just because she was so impressed with their business practices, AND she can buy a package of 50 rolls of paper towels if she wants. Actually, my favorite part of Costco is the free samples. We generally buy only a few specific items there, but the cheap gas prices alone pay off the membership in no time.