Thursday, December 08, 2005

Heat wave

After Denver saw record lows for the date yesterday (high of 3/low of -13), a veritable heat wave moves in today, with a high of 39 (feeling like 34) and low of 20 (feeling like 14). Before you say, "See, we told you so," you need to know this: We went out to dinner last night with Wisconsinites, and even they said it was cold. It also probably felt much colder to us because we walked to the restaurant, Piscos, about four blocks away. And four blocks in negative degrees feels like it will never end. (And Leah and Kyle, if you are reading, you will be happy to know that we shoot up to 46/26 the day you arrive!)

We spent much of yesterday working on weatherizing our creaky, old windows, and then we went to a book sale at work. We found a copy of the new Chris Elliott novel, which, frankly, sounds really bizarre, but he's doing a book-signing next week at The Tattered Cover, and I am not about to miss that! The Tattered Cover is an amazing bookstore, though I think Powell's in Portland is still best, as it also sells used books. We also found copies of "Tab Hunter Confidential" and Tatum O'Neal's "A Paper Life," which reminds me I forgot to list one of my favorite movies in my profile! I've already started reading the latter and was saddened to find out that neither of Tatum's parents were there when she won her Oscar!

Last night we watched "Kicking & Screaming." Despite a few moments of Will Ferrellness, it was barely worth the $1 we spent on its rental. I am a sucker for Will Ferrell movies, even though I am disappointed half the time, but this one was just plain mean-spirited, and don't even get me started on the kids jumping out of a butcher truck in bloody aprons. For classic Will Ferrell, "Old School" gets my vote every time. His small role in "Wedding Crashers" is worth the price of admission, too. Thc coolest part about the movie rental is that we got it from a kiosk at our local grocery store. You put in your debit card; the machine charges you $1/day and dispenses your disc.

6 comments:

DeAnn said...

I don't know why, but I have never been much for Will Ferrell.

I do, however, agree that it's horribly sad that Tatum's parents weren't there when she won her Oscar.

Little Ginger said...

Actually, after reading the book, her parents not being at the Oscars weren't the half of it. If what she wrote is true, her upbringing makes Christina Crawford's ("Mommie Dearest") look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

Anonymous said...

A Chris Elliot book signing. That's about the coolest thing I've ever heard. As him to reprise his man under the seats character. Happy Holidays to you and Mike.

Little Ginger said...

Dear Anonymous, It was super-cool, and if our #*$&*#*$&) digital camera wasn't broken, the blog would've included a great pic of us with Chris Elliott! He was the nicest guy, very humble and gracious (and of course funny). I actually had started reading the book before the gig and am enjoying it. It was even more enjoyable to hear him read it, so I recommend the audiobook if he does one. Also, during the Q&A, I asked about "Get a Life" on DVD (besides the lame "best of" volumes that are now out of print), and he says he has just wrapped up doing audio commentary, and the first season should be out in February. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Actually, on second thought, getting something from Chris Elliot, in which he refers to me as Slappy, is the coolest thing.

You guys are the best! Thanks a lot, and Merry Christmas.

Little Ginger said...

Dear "Anonymous," Glad you enjoyed the present. Now send us some current freaking photos of the kids! Isaiah must be in college by now, and I hear Benjamin is a molecular biologist. Chris Elliott said he enjoyed your viewer mail letters so much that he hoarded them all, locked in a heart-shaped box, and never let Dave see them.