The good: Democrats have won the U.S. House and Senate, hateful Rick Santorum is out in Pennsylvania, and Colorado has elected a Democratic governor for the first time in eight years and several Democratic congressmen/women!
The bad: Not surprisingly, Colorado approved a gay-marriage ban. I was holding out hope, though, that people could at least see it in their hearts to approve a domestic-partnership measure to offer couples some legal protections. At this writing, it's still undecided, with many Denver votes (approving the measure about 2-1) yet to be counted, but I don't think we can pull it off.
The most disgusting part is that Ted Haggard, the fallen leader of the evangelical New Life Church in Colorado Springs and the biggest hypocrite I can think of at the moment, was instrumental in shaping the gay-marriage ban. People apparently are threatened by gay marriage but not by a meth-head pastor who breaks his wedding vows to sneak around with a gay male prostitute. I couldn't care less about his sexual orientation, but you'd think he could've at least gotten his "experimentation" out of the way in Bible college before going on to deceive a wife and a slew of kids.
The ugly: Ah, the democratic process. Michael and I said we'd never vote on machines again after we did in New Mexico, so we went the absentee route. Simple, effective and no wait on Election Day. Turns out it doesn't really matter what you do, as your vote may or may not get counted, and the people who do wait in line eventually give up after waiting three hours for broken machines and/or people who don't know how to run them. What's it going to take to get some true voting reform in this country?
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment