I woke up about 5:30 this morning to noise and shaking and figured it was an earthquake. I live in Oregon, you're thinking, so big fat deal. The funny thing is I was asleep at my mom's house in South Boston, Ind., when this happened.
When I got up this morning, I asked Mom, "Was there an earthquake last night?" and she thought I was crazy. Turns out it was a 5.2-magnitude centered in Illinois and felt in this area. There seemed to be little effect in this area other than people feeling it; one building in Louisville lost some bricks.
Apparently this quake was in the Wabash fault, which I've heard may or may not be part of the New Madrid fault. We found out about the New Madrid (pronounced MADrid, like the town in New Mexico) some years ago, when Mom and I were still living together and felt a tiny quake then. Supposedly the New Madrid has the potential to be a pretty serious fault line, and one year they predicted "the big one," on my birthday, but it never happened.
So I guess whatever excuses Mom may use for not moving West, fear of earthquakes can't be one of them.
Update: Mom, John and I just felt an aftershock. TV confirmed it was 4.5. Crazy!
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I will take a 5.2 over the Big One we are supposed to get here anytime! :)
I think the biggest I have felt is 4.8. But it was super close to our house. We live very close to an active fault line--the one that is supposed to "blow" next. And when I woke up I thought it was the Big One! Man, it was scary.
I lived in central California for two years, never even felt a small tremor. Moved to Louisville in 87 and was shaken by that New Madrid fault within the first couple of months of living here. Then this one yesterday woke me up and I thought it was some huge rolling thunder that shook the windows....turns out to be another earthquake....go figure.
very amazing and interesting post, thank you for sharing
Famous Positive Quotes
Positive Life Quotes
Gym Quotes
Quotes Words
Future Quotes
Successful People
Image Bank
Smile Quotes
Xyore
حكم واقوال
Post a Comment