Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New toy #2

Now that we have a yard to mow (our landlord sits back and rakes in our dough while we do all the work), we decided to get a mower of our own. The landlord does provide a gas one that's stored in the garage, but with small yards in the back and the front, we thought an old-fashioned human-powered mower would be the responsible way to go.

Michael did a little research and decided the Scotts Classic was best for us. We mow the grass about once a week, leaving the short trimmings on the grass. No muss, no fuss. All in all, about a 10-minute job or less per yard.

Oh, and I tried out the mower myself. That may not sound like such a big deal, but I had never mowed grass in my life before. My grandpa always hired my male cousins to mow our lawn, and every place I've lived since, it was handled by someone else. I have to say, even with the push mower, it's a little unwieldy and will take some practice to get turning the corners right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike looks kinda winded...


Kyle

Kitt said...

Make sure you stay on top of it! I tried doing the push-mower thing for a while, but if I let it go too long (I should not say if, but when), the mower just couldn't cut it. I finally gave up and bought an electric one instead (which I like very much).

Your yard looks so nice, though! A green oasis.\

Ann said...

I have never mowed a lawn before. I really have never done yardwork either. Not really sure if gardening counts.

- The M.A.D. Hapa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
- The M.A.D. Hapa said...

I must admit, I've never mowed a lawn either. If one day, I did have a yard I would get a human-powered mower. Lord knows I am too dependent on machines as it is.

That said, if things go according to plan I won't ever have a yard. Nope, just a dirt n' gravel patch with the '95 Mirage up on blocks. Hey, you grow up in Vancouver, you learn not to set your sights very high.

Anonymous said...

Your yard and mower look very pretty and "green." I must admit I have only mowed two times in my almost 45 years. Once, a push mower like yours only it was an antique and it was the big yard in Madison. Young and dumb and full of energy. The other time in Texas as a surprise to my then husband. Nobody told me those things need oil! Needless to say, the mower blew up! lynyrd