Michael and I went to our neighborhood theater, the Esquire (with a burned-out Q), last night to see "The Darjeeling Limited." To my delight, I had found out earlier in the week, the Friday-Saturday midnight movie was my favorite, "Rushmore," also by Wes Anderson. Now, I hadn't been to a midnight movie since probably "Rocky Horror Picture Show" back in the day, but seeing as how I'd never seen Max Fischer on the big screen, we had to get caffeinated and catch a double feature.
Every time I watch "Rushmore," I see something I hadn't noticed before, and seeing it larger than life brought out even more nuances. There was also a surprise for the night: Before the movie, the midnight host said a few words about upcoming movies, then introduced a guy who was in "Rushmore." His name is Kyle Ryan Urquhart, and he played a character named Regis (never named in the movie). If you've seen "Rushmore," this kid pops up throughout. He never speaks, but some of his expressions are priceless. The only photo I could find online is of him underwater, when he swims past Herman Bloom (Bill Murray).
He's the same kid who gets shot in the neck with a blow dart by Magnus, and when Max is spending a lot of time with Herman and Miss Cross, the kid's sitting in the front seat of Herman's car wearing a silly hat. The guy didn't say whether he lived in Denver or just happened to be in town. All he said was he spent lots of time during filming with Jason Schwartzman (Max) and the kid who played Dirk Calloway.
All in all, a fab night, even if we were up way past our usual bedtime. "Darjeeling" was a delight as well. Wes Anderson-brand humor with many tender, endearing moments and some beautiful cinematography.

2 comments:
The first time I saw "Rushmore," I thought, "Man, I really should be seeing this on the big screen." It's pretty clear that you'll miss the full effect otherwise.
Sounds like a fun night!
It would've flattened me like a pancake.
My favorite line from the movie...
Kyle
Post a Comment