Friday, June 09, 2006

The Sundance Kid



Michael & I finagled tickets to a Robert Redford speaking engagement and "VIP" passes for a reception afterward. Unfortunately, 100-200 people also had passes to said reception, and while there was a nice dessert/champagne setup, it meant no autographs or real photo ops other than snapping pictures of him on his way out. Michael managed to get the shot of me just after I shook Redford's hand and he'd moved on to the next person.

Michael did get a brief moment with him, sending regards from a family friend who was Redford's frat brother in college. Michael's mom says the guy sends naked Christmas cards every year!

Redford's talk was enjoyable; he touched on his movie career and activism. Said he bought a 2-acre piece of land in Utah back in the day for $500 that's now part of Sundance. It's also where "Jeremiah Johnson" (my mom's favorite) was filmed. He was asked what his favorite Paul Newman food product was, and he said he didn't eat it (sounds like they are still pals, though, and I heard recently they may have a new project in the works). All in all, he seemed like a pretty well-rounded, normal, happy guy.

Also, he is fairly short; I was wearing 4-inch heels (very unusual for me), but he didn't seem much taller. Maybe 5'8"? And for a nearly 70-year-old -- whoosh! He's still got it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So......getting that close to the guy.......could you tell whether he dyes his hair or what....inquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous said...

HaH – I told you – you get to do cool stuff! What about his weathered face? He looks a wrinkly on screen.....?

AnnieL said...

have been meaning to comment sooner. he's a fine man, no matter what age. angela, you look giddy!!!!!!!

Little Ginger said...

Wow, I am really lazy to just be responding to these. I don't think he dyes his hair, all natural, baby! Plus, he has some gray in there too. As for wrinkly, he IS 70, but really he looks terrific. Just like you'd expect a 70-year-old Robert Redford to look -- like he just jumped off a horse at the ranch. All that was missing was the tight jeans. : )