Thursday, June 01, 2006

The leather men



OK, in retrospect, these photos aren't that exciting, but I got you to check back, didn't I?

While at the Derby party, we noticed a couple of leather men heading into the church across the way. Before long, there were groups heading in every few minutes, all men, all in leather. I started snapping photos from my vantage point. Our party's interest was piqued; we figured maybe it was a wedding. When I saw that a photo session was going on at the church, and since I had several hours of mint juleps in me, I walked over -- mint julep and camera in hand -- and asked the guys if they'd like me to take a group photo. They were happy for the opportunity, and I had them say "Happy Derby Day!" rather than "Cheese!" I also asked what was the occasion; they said a leather dinner.

I took the close-ups with their camera, not with mine, as I didn't want to intrude (which I did anyway from a distance), though later Michael said they'd probably have gladly posed for me seeing as how, well, they were in leather and probably would love the attention.

Walking home a block away later, I peeked into the church, and it just looked like your run-of-the-mill banquet: a bunch of dinner tables, a speaker behind a lecturn -- and leather as far as the eye could see.

No comments: