Wednesday, November 07, 2007

R.I.P.


Just found out tonight in passing that Osmond patriarch George died on Tuesday at age 90. If you know me, you know I have a nearly lifelong obsession with the Osmonds, so you know better than to crack any jokes in the comments section. Forreals.

Donny was my first love (I was 4; he was 13). I still note his birthday each year (six days after mine, though obviously a few years earlier) , and he's probably the one celebrity I'd still really flip to meet (OK, and David Bowie). I actually blew my chance when I was living in Oregon. I had a tryout in Seattle for the new "Pyramid" game show, with Donny as host and appearing at the tryouts, but it was the same weekend as Bob Geldof's concert in Seattle, and both logistics and figuring my brain would explode if I got both in one weekend forced me to cancel my big "Pyramid"/Donny Osmond moment.

I did see the Osmonds in concert at the Kentucky State Fair when I was about 7 or 8 (my first concert) , and I got Marie's autograph on the tour program from that same concert when Stacy and I saw her onstage in "The Sound of Music" many years later. Unfortunately, she had hurt her ankle or somesuch and didn't come out after, but one of the von Trapp kids took the program backstage for the autograph.

OK, I know you are just dying to comment; so have at me, just leave my Osmonds alone. : )

5 comments:

Kitt said...

It's OK. I'll see your youthful Donny Osmond crush and raise you ... Barry Manilow!

little ginger said...

Did you have the double live Barry Manilow LP? I wore that thing out singing along to it! I loved the jingle medley, not to mention all his old hits.

Kitt said...

I had all of them. Now long gone ... (Though I still have the first album I ever bought, Kansas' "Leftoverture." Of all things.)

AnnieL said...

OMG. Have we talked about the State Fair concert? I saw Donny there when I was living in Glasgow. A friend's dad brought us...I wonder if we were at the same one. Marie came out and sang "Paper Roses."

Also, you knew that Big Daddy is a big Barry Manilow fan, right? hee hee.

Little Ginger said...

The state fair concert was Aug. 12, 1975 (I still have my purple ticket stub). I'm sure it was the same one. I didn't remember Marie being there, but I think I do have a couple of photos from the concert, and she and Donny are onstage together. I think it might have been before their TV show. I did not know that about Big Daddy, but somehow it doesn't surprise me!