Friday, November 02, 2007

A picture worth a thousand Benjamins

My old friend Todd in Kentucky (not to be confused with my crazy ex of the same name and state) and I have recently renewed contact through e-mail. I had to share this brilliant photo of his son Malcolm's Benjamin Franklin Halloween costume.

A guy at work said his son dressed as a chick magnet, though the only image I have of that is in my head.

Kids in their costumes made me wonder anew why there are no childhood photos of me in mine. There are photos of birthdays, Christmases, Easters but not a single Halloween that I know of. It's not like my mom's not a pagan. I remember being a geisha girl, a gypsy and a witch, but that's it. What's up with that, Mom?

The great pumpkin inquiry

Does anyone remember a movie (or maybe a "Night Gallery" episode or somesuch) from the '70s where a kid put toothpick arms and legs on pumpkin-shaped cookies and moved them through a dollhouse for a voodoo-doll effect? For instance, if a pumpkin cookie fell down the stairs, so did a person. I thought of it the other day while eating a Halloween cookie.

I have asked a few pop-culture-savvy friends, but no luck.

I swear I don't think I'm making this up. If I am, then I guess my dreams are even crazier than I realized!

3 comments:

Kitt said...

Yes, maybe you dreamed it, if your most recent creative one is any indication.

Anonymous said...

I tried my damnedest to get him to go all out and become Benjamin Franklinstein, but to no avail . . . apparently, he needs to adhere to a code of being somewhat historically accurate.

Anonymous said...

Really? No Halloween pix? I can't believe it! I guess I am going to have to dig around in the scary closet in the basement. Maybe I was so excited about taking you trick-or-treating that I forgot. HaHa