Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dr. Kiley redux

We caught a sneak peek last night of "No Country for Old Men," the new Joel & Ethan Coen movie. Really well-done, and Javier Bardem's character was super-creepy, down to his modified Prince Valiant hairdo.

I was surprised by how much Josh Brolin, above, looks like his dad. James Brolin was one of my childhood crushes when he played Dr. Kiley on "Marcus Welby M.D." We all know I had my Donny Osmond-style teenybopper crushes as a kid, but there were also a few older men I loved at the time: James Brolin, Charlie Rich, Joe Namath and Beau Bridges (huh?).

I remember watching "Marcus Welby" every week (we even named Chihuahua No. 2 Esther Consuelo Hernandez after Nurse Consuelo) and loved Dr. Kiley on his motorcycle. I had pretty much always dismissed Josh Brolin for some reason. I couldn't remember having seen him in anything before, and I had just taken him for some second-rate second-generation actor. But in "No Country" he channels 1970s James Brolin.

And now, James Brolin, much like Charlie Rich before him, is a silver fox. With any luck, Josh Brolin will follow in his dad's footsteps in that way. (I have seen Charlie Rich Jr., and he's nothing to write home about.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh Brolin was one of my first crushes. I so hearted him back when he was "Brand" in the The Goonies. I'm dying to see No Country... but have to wait because they never do sneak previews out here. I'll just have to read the book in the meantime, I guess. P.S. I'm wearing my Corgi socks today!!!!

Anonymous said...

James Brolin was great in Pee Wee's Big Adventure...

Kyle

Little Ginger said...

Kate, I know you love The Goonies, but I honestly don't think I ever saw that movie. What was the one where someone threw up blueberry pie on the Tilt-A-Whirl? Stand By Me? That's the one I saw, and I always get them confused. I do realize now that I saw Josh Brolin in Flirting With Disaster but had no idea at the time it was him or who he was. And yes, Kyle, James Brolin was awesome as P.W.! I loved him in a 70s made-for-TV movie called Trapped, where he somehow gets stuck in a department store after hours and spends the rest of the movie trying to escape crazed Dobermans.

Anonymous said...

Hello? Corgi socks? Can I get a mention? These things are vintage practically! You bought them for me circa 2000. I'm STILL wearing them!

Anonymous said...

I know you are...but what am I?

I'd swear he's trying not to laugh when he says that line...

kyle

Ann said...

You are seriously mixing up The Goonies with Stand By Me?????
Stand By Me is my favorite movie--and it is a pie eating contest with Lard Ass that you are thinking of. In Goonies Josh is the big brother to Sean Astin--aka Mikey Walsh. Oh, and remember Data, the little inventor?
I LOVE those movies.
And I need to see a pic of these Corgi socks!!!!!

little ginger said...

Yeah, I definitely didn't see Goonies. None of that is familiar. All I know is it was filmed in Astoria, Ore., and of course I know the Cyndi Lauper song.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with the Brolins, but...
Two things made me think of you yesterday:
1. Superhot Jake Gyllenhaal is in town filming something. I'm hoping to accidentally bump into him at a pool hall or something. That'd be perfect.
2. King Arthur's sent me a huge press kit yesterday, with flour samples and muffin mix and recipes and all. I'd have shared if you were still here. Alas.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. I usually get schooled by Angela in pop culture, but even I know the difference between The Goonies and Stand By Me. One's a movie, and the other's a song by Ben E. King. Duh.