Monday, June 11, 2007

Sweet!


Mom's here visiting, and during a quick trip to Boulder, we checked out Powell's Sweet Shoppe. It's a chain, so maybe you've visited one before. I never had, and it was super-cool. Filled with candies of yesteryear (I didn't even know they still made Zotz!), and there's a screen in the back that plays a loop of "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory," complete with a few movie-theater seats for your viewing pleasure. They also had then-and-now signed photos of cast members. Mike TeeVee was bald as an adult in his. I'd seen Charlie Bucket in later photos before, and he's pretty unrecognizable. Augustus Gloop still looks Gloopy.

Today we're off to the cooler environs of Estes Park (Rocky Mountain Park area) and a stay at The Stanley Hotel, where at least part of the TV version of "The Shining" was filmed. The hotel offers ghost tours, but I have a feeling we'll pass.

4 comments:

Kitt said...

How fun! I haven't been to that sweet shop yet.

Mom and I stayed at the Stanley, and they put us in what is allegedly the most haunted room. We didn't find this out until the tour stopped outside our door!

It had a cute little sun porch, so we ordered room service and ate breakfast there. No signs of any ghosts.

Anonymous said...

Did you know there was a movie entitled "Zotz" in the late 50s or early 60s starring Tom Poston? One of my fave flicks from my childhood. Send me you email address.
stanm@kgbtexas.com

little ginger said...

Mom and I supposedly were on the most haunted floor of The Stanley but didn't see or hear anything weird. We took the history/ghost tour, which was pretty fascinating.

little ginger said...

I don't remember the movie "Zotz," but my mom, grandma and I met Tom Poston after a play once when I was a kid. I don't think I had any idea at the time who he was but was assured by Mom and Grandma that he was, in fact, famous. He signed my play program "To Angela the angel."