As usual, I'm working on an awards night so get only a secondhand version of the goings-on and who wore what. I did take part in the Oscar pool at work and one online, but this year my viewing is pitiful. Of all the movies that received nominations, I've only seen "Little Miss Sunshine," "Little Children," "An Inconvenient Truth," "Jesus Camp," "Babel," "Borat," "Superman Returns," "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Pirates of the Caribbean." So, really, very few of the major contenders.
My favorite movie of the year was "Sunshine," though frankly I was surprised to see it get nominated. It faces stiff competition from some heavy-hitters. I had high hopes for "Babel" but was really disappointed. It was too slow, too long and I didn't get enough of any characters to really care what happened to them -- not even Brad Pitt!
While all odds point to Eddie Murphy winning for best supporting actor, it's hard to cheer on the guy who's also currently starring in "Norbit." I may feel different if I'd actually seen the movie. Jackie Earle Haley is my sentimental favorite, and he absolutely has an award-worthy performance for his creepy yet heartbreaking turn in "Little Children."
Sounds like Forest Whitaker, Helen Mirren and Jennifer Hudson have the other awards wrapped up, and I have no real opinion on any of these categories. Of the supporting actresses whose movies I've seen, Adriana Barraza was the best, and her storyline in "Babel" was the most compelling.
Sheesh, what a lame blog entry. I guess next year I'll need to see more nominated films!
Sunday, February 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You've seen more than I have.
We like to wait to get movies on Netflix.
I won't be watching the Oscars. I don't care about awards shows. To me they mean nothing. Someone always gets screwed anyway. Like Felicity Huffman. I know I just said I am not an awards show fan. But wha???? She was so amazing in "Transamerica." And don't get me wrong, I loved "Walk the Line." But c'mon those performances didn't compare. Felicity was robbed.
I will be catching up on the shows I TiVo'd while away for the week.
I'd like to say that I don't like awards shows either, but I do always feel like I'm missing out. There's a lot that's super-boring (though the Golden Globes are more fun to watch since everyone gets hammered at their table during it), but I do like to see the glitz, the "In Memoriam" and the snippets of old movies. I think the biggest case of Oscar robbery in recent memory was Julia Roberts for "Erin Brockovich" over Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem for a Dream." I still can't believe that one.
Post a Comment