Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pancakes & potions

OK, enough with the snow posts already. It's not going anywhere anytime soon, and I'm sure you're ready for me to move on to a new topic. I know I am.

Instead I give you ... pancakes. My inspiration is three-pronged: my friend Kat, who always has her camera at the ready for spur-of-the-moment blog posts, leaving nothing off limits and offering new posts pretty much daily; my new King Arthur Flour baking book; and Julie Powell's delightful book "Julie & Julia," in which she chronicles her efforts to make every dish in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in a year.

Michael & I have pretty much all the cookbooks we could ever need -- including Vegetarian Times' collection, two Mark Bittmans and at least one Mollie Katzen -- not to mention subscriptions to Eating Well and Rachael Ray's Everyday, which rarely let us down (Eating Well has recently blessed us with Catfish Amandine and Boneless Buffalo Wings).

We had no baking books, though, and I decided it was time. Just got it a few days ago, and on a quick look-through decided the first recipe I'd try was gingerbread pancakes. Despite the altitude, they came out fluffy, not dry and tasty, especially with the suggested dollop of warm applesauce on top. Yum!

Meanwhile, in my never-ending DIY dabbling, here's a slightly fuzzy photo of fizzy bath bombs and lotion (in the jar) that I made. My friend Cristine and I have been taking some free classes at Apothecary Tinctura, a fabulous local shop that sells herbs and gifts, and Mom got me a couple of natural-body-product recipe books for Christmas. I've also been using a homemade lavender-rose-hops-chamomile sleep balm every night, and I'm brewing some bay rum for Michael (a 3- to 4-week process).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love gingerbread pancakes. First had them at Kirby's in Austin.

Kitt said...

Oh, I do want to sample that lotion! And isn't Julie/Julia fun? It's kind of inspirational, but then I think harder about what would be involved. Kind of exhausting, more like.

I may have to get the sleep potion recipe from you.

Ann said...

You are coming to visit the rain soon. Tho. we haven't had much rain lately. But it should be coming back before we know it.

barry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
barry said...

We went to Fort Collins today and I saw the King Arthur Flour baking book at the Cupboard. When we got home I was talking to my mom and when she heard we went to the FC she asked "did you go to the Cupboard?"

"We sure did," I told her.

We also saw a pit bull with a terrible owner attack a collie. It was awful. The collie wasn't hurt, really, at least she wasn't bleeding. I think I should have notified the proper authorities.

Anyway.

Anonymous said...

You are having too much fun! I want the recipe for the Boneless Buffalo Wings!

Anonymous said...

I want me some of those Morning Glory muffins....reminds me of, and I am sure thaey are the same from that tidbit of recipe, Glorious Morning muffins..just happens to be my favorite and they look yummy!!

Anonymous said...

oops...muffin comment in wrong section, also has word spelled wrong.......