Sunday, April 23, 2006

Must-see DVDs


I had never heard of "Wonderfalls," but Michael came across it somewhere and thought it was worth renting. Was he right! The 2004 Fox series didn't even make it an entire season, but luckily the whole season made it to DVD.

The show tells the story of Jaye, a college philsophy grad who finds herself working at a Niagara Falls gift shop and living in an Airstream in a trailer park. She already doesn't fit in (her family is made up of socialite author mom Karen, doctor dad Darrin, lawyer sister Sharon and theologian brother Aaron) but finds a new quirk from the first show: Inanimate objects in the form of animals talk to her and, she finds, lead her to shape the fate of others.

The premise sounds silly, but it's one of those gems of a show and worth renting if you love quirky humor.

While watching, we kept thinking the show smacked of familiarity, as Jaye reminded us a lot of Georgia/George/Millie (aka "Toilet Seat Girl") from our beloved "Dead Like Me," which lasted two seasons on Showtime. Turns out, both were created by the same guy, Bryan Fuller. "Dead Like Me" revolves around a group of grim reapers who "live" among the living and must carry out their job on a daily basis. Check them out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Dead Like Me, I will be getting Wonderfalls as soon as I can, quirky humor is my life.....

DeAnn said...

I practically cried when it was canceled. I LOVED "Wonderfalls."