Monday, November 21, 2005

A welcome and a rant

First off, welcome to this site. I can't promise anything in the way of output/consistency, as my follow-through's not so great (for instance, I created this blog probably a year ago and never put anything in it). With our move to Denver, though, I wanted to do a better job of keeping in touch than I did after we went to Albuquerque and figured this might be just the forum.

On to my minor rant. Nothing against my lovely husband or men in general, but I have been highly frustrated lately that everyone just assumes the man is the one in charge. I first noticed this during the summer, when Michael and I talked to a mortgage officer at the bank about getting preapproved. Even though we made it fairly clear that I was the "moneyed" one, the woman directed almost her entire spiel to Michael, to the point that he was practically offering hand signals to remind her I was in the room.

Hadn't given it much more thought until recently. We opened a new bank account in Denver and realized later that, though it's a joint account and I'm currently the employed one, a number of the forms contained only Michael's name and not mine. Granted, we both have equal access to the account, but I was peeved that the guy, for whatever reason, chose Michael's name.

Then, we received a deposit refund from our old landlord. The envelope listed both our names, but the check was made out to -- guess who? Yes, Michael. Even though, as he and I both pointed out, he never wrote a SINGLE check for the rent.

OK, it's out of my system now, and I feel better. Maybe it's just us, but I'm suspecting it's a fairly common trend. As James Brown says, "It's a man's man's man's world."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick to good old American Campbell's. Progresso is one of them furrin' brands, ain't it? And try Bean with Bacon instead of Lentil. Arabs eat Lentils.

Anonymous said...

Love it or leave it, baby! Actually, the missus and I have a really good set up: while she is in fact the monied one, I'm the one with the great credit score. So, my name is all over the joint. I like to think of myself as a figurehead while she does all the hard work behind the scenes.

It's a position that I wholly embrace. Although, when we had out bathroom redone, I didn't want to have anything to do with it, it was all my wife's idea. But the guy she hired kept coming to me to ask for help on things or to run out for pipe or whatever. I kept telling him that I was only there to watch TV, but I still ended up doing a lot of heavy lifting. Chicks...always getting out of the hard work...

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I feel like an Amazon...but with both breasts. Rant on! That is exactly why I am happy to be on my own and intend NOT to get married. I never thought I'd be the committment phobe, but...the same thing used to happen with my ex-husband. The change always went back to him (even though I was the one working) and when I was referred to as 'the little lady' I almost had a stroke. Men have a place...a happy place...but only for limited amounts of time. The rest of the time they usually just clutter up the house. I usually just end up looking at them, men that is, saying, "what the hell are you thinking?" I will say, on the sexist side of things, it would be nice to have a beefy set of arms for cutting grass. I hate cutting the grass. I dislocated my shoulder trying to start the lawn mover. I'm a bit embarrased to admit that... But did that stop me? NOOOOO. I freaked out for a minute and then pushed it back and cut the damned grass. Like I said. Amazon.
By the way, I really like this whole blogger site thing. Very fun!

Curt said...

maybe if you'd let the man open your soup, you woudn't be prostrate in front of that camera. eh, little lady?